"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Friday, February 12, 2010

Legos, Library & More!

This morning was our Lego Group's Valentine's Party, so you would have thought that the boy's would be chomping at the bit to get there. But, no! It seems lately that they do not want to leave the house. Atleast I say that because they are never interested in getting dressed or hurrying as much as me to get out of the house. Why would they when they have a houseful of toys? But eventually they got moving and we got there before anyone else. Go figure!

Today's challenge was to build a mailbox for the Valentine's exchange. Ehric didn't seem to care too much that he needed to build one himself. He felt his time would be best served helping other's with theirs. What a great kid he is wanting to help others! Aiden on the other hand was being very clingy to me. But he and I eventually made a pretty cool mailbox out of Duplo blocks. He was so possessive of his mailbox that he stood guard watching over it so that no one would take it apart.

As time was winding down I started to feel anxious because Ehric had not built one for himself yet. I looked over and saw that he was getting started. I tried to offer him some assistence but he didn't want any help, so in between keeping Aiden company, I just started building with Legos. It was kind of cathertic. I think the kids enjoy building for that reason too. Eventually time ran out and the kids needed to set up a spot for their mailboxes. So bad Momma forced Ehric to stop building. I felt bad but he forgave me when he saw how much Valentine's loot he got. It felt like Halloween all over again.

After the boys were sugared up we went to the Children's room at the library. What a mistake!! The boys ran circles around the room at the dismay of the librarian. But I did get them to sit still long enough to read some books and make Daddy a Valentine Card. Finally I got fed up with their behavior that I pleaded with them to leave. I felt such relief when I got them in the car.

The day was so beautiful so when Daddy got home he decided to take them for a long hike in the woods. While they were gone I decided that I wanted to go to the movies and see Dear John. So I called my Mom up and we went to see the movie together. Hubby assumed it was because I needed a break from the boys, but I was over the morning festivities by that point...I just really wanted to see Dear John!

The boys had fun on their walk with Daddy. They explored the woods and spotted deer tracks and scat. Once they got out of the woods they visited with friends of ours. I am so glad that hubby took them outside because they have been cooped up a lot lately. Daddy needed the time outside too.

I was thrilled when I got home and was told that the boys were in their pjs, brushed their teeth and were playing upstairs. Aiden came down stairs to see me and gave me the biggest hug...it is rare that I am away from them to warrant such returning home hugs. Ehric on the other hand wasn't phased that I was home. :(

Hubby read the boys some books:
'Abe Lincoln Loved Animals' by Ellen Jackson (since it is Lincoln's bday today)
Dinosaur Tracks by K Zoehfeld (The boys are big into dinosaurs right now)
and Shape Capers by C Falwell

Then they all went to bed and I spent the evening catching up on shows online. All in all it was a pretty good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment