"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chipper Date Brownies

While looking for a cookie recipe I ran across a cake-like brownie recipe that incorporated dates.  I have had dates in my fridge for the last month that have been calling for me to use them.  Today was the day! My family just enjoyed at least two pieces each (the boys begged for more) with a glass of milk. These were uber chocolately and good!

Chipper Date Brownies
Source: Better Homes and Gardens: Cookies and Candies (C) 1966

Wet ingredients:
1 8oz package (1 1/2 cups) pitted dates, chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Dry ingredients:
1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/2-1 cup chopped Walnuts
1 6oz pkg (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.  Combine chopped dates and boiling water; cool to room temperature.  Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla; stir in date mixture.  Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture.  Pour mixture into the pan.  Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips evenly over the top.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or till done.  Cool for 10 minutes or so.  Cut into squares.

Notes: I greased the pan with Wilton Cake Release. My boys are not fans of nuts so I only made half with walnuts (see picture above).  But to my surprise Ehric asked for a piece with nuts and liked them.  Go figure!  Also, I cooked these for a lot longer than the recommended time.  They seemed a little too moist at 25-30 minutes, just check them every few minutes.

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment