"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baked Eggs


Recently a friend from Australia raved about eating "Baked Eggs" for brunch.  I thought it sounded yummy but had no clue what "Baked Eggs" were.  So last night  I did some research online and was intrigued by two baked egg dishes, one combines tomato sauce and chili powder and the other incorporates meatballs.   Essentially each dish has sauce on the bottom and an egg on the top which gets baked in the oven.  Bread is also served alongside the dish for sopping up the sauce.

This morning I decided to try out my own Italian Inspired Baked Egg recipe for breakfast.....

Italian Inspired Baked Eggs
1/2 cup Spaghetti Sauce
1/4-1/2 of one Italian Sausage link, cooked and crumbled
1/8-1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese
1 Egg

Preheat oven to 375F.  Spray a small ramekin (a small oven proof bowl) with cooking spray.  Pour sauce into the bottom of the ramekin.  Add cooked sausage pieces to the sauce then layer on the mozzarella cheese. Crack one egg over the top of the cheese, being careful not to break the yolk.  Cook until the egg has set about 12-20 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs).  Let cool for 5 minutes or so.  Then enjoy with toast and or your favorite bread.    Printable Recipe

* Notes: I overcooked my eggs a little so my yolk was not runny.  If you prefer a more runny yolk stick to the lower end of the time.  I never set a timer so this is just a guesstimate.

I enjoyed my Baked Eggs dish with buttered French Bread and some Earl Grey Tea.  Let me just say that I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast!  It was so much more satisfying than a bowl of cereal and milk or plain old scrambled eggs!  I will definitely be making more baked eggs in the future!

Have you ever made Baked Eggs before?

No comments:

Post a Comment