"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Monday, January 10, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

With the house to myself this morning I decided to make biscuits to go along with the Red Lentil Soup I made yesterday. The biscuits came out so fluffy and tasted amazing with my soup. I was good though I only ate two. My family has been snacking on them all afternoon. Warm biscuits are great on a cold Winter day!



Buttermilk Biscuits
(from The Best Marjorie Standish: Chowders, Soups & Stews- Down East Recipes)

2 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 rounded tblsp shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Sift flour, measure and sift together with salt, soda, cream of tartar and baking powder.
Cut in the shortening, using a pastry blender or 2 knives. Add the buttermilk quickly, using a fork for stirring into dry ingredients. Knead lightly on a floured board.
Cut in size biscuits desired, place on a greased pan and bake at 475 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Makes about 12 biscuits.

** I like to add 1 tbsp of sugar to the dry ingredients.
** If you do not have buttermilk you can use milk and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment