"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Beekeeping and Master Gardener Program

I am getting really excited for Spring now. Next month I will be taking a beekeeping class with my hubby. We would really like to have our own hive so that we can make honey. I am both excited and a little nervous about keeping bees, but it is another step towards self-sufficiency. The class will meet for five weeks and then this summer we will have one field day to work directly with the bees.

I just found out also that I was selected to take part in our Cooperative Extension's Master Gardener program. I am super excited because we are going to learn about growing fruits and vegetables. We have several apple trees on our property that need attention and have plenty of land for gardening. Usually hubby does all the gardening and I deal with the preserving. So I am really looking forward to being a part of this program.



As a child I spent most of my time indoors and it takes a real effort as an adult to get myself outdoors. So I am hoping that through these courses I will become more acclimatized to being outside which will benefit my children tremendously. Right now I kind of rely on Daddy to be the one to expose them to the outdoors, because I always feel lost and uncomfortable outdoors. I really want us to become self-sufficient as well and to do that I need to take more of an active role. I don't want hubby to be the only one with the outdoor skills.

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment