"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Elephant Ears

This morning Aiden wanted "water and a cookie." I tried to tell him several which ways that we did not have any cookies. Since I was craving cookies the other day I decided to relent and make some cookies. What a push over!

I decided to look in one of the kid's cookbooks for a recipe. We have a really cute cookbook, called Alpha-Bakery by Gold Medal, that has a recipe for every letter of the alphabet. I settled for the E recipe, Elephant Ears.

Here is the recipe for Elephant Ears:

1/4 cup of margerine or butter
1 cup of all-purpose flour (of course it called for Gold Medal but I use King Arthur flour)
2 tblsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/3 cup milk
3 tblsp of sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Sugar

1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grease a cookie sheet with shortening (or use a coated cookie sheet or parchment paper)
3. Heat margerine or butter until melted; set aside.
Stir together flour, 2 tblsp sugar, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk
and melted butter until dough forms.
4. Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour and knead the dough 10 times. Roll dough with a rolling pin or pat with hands into a rectangle, 9x5 inches.
Brush with remaining melted butter, using a pastry brush; sprinkle with mixture of 3 tblsp sugar and the cinnamon.
5. Roll dough up tightly beginning at narrow end. Pinch edge of dough into a roll and seal. Cut into 4 equal pieces with a sharp knife. Places sides up on a cookie sheet; pat each into a 6" circle.
Sprinkle with more sugar.
6. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet with a spatula. Let cool on wire rack. Makes 4 elephant ears. (I doubled the recipe to make 8)

I always like to make notes in my cookbooks when I make a recipe. I write down the date, what we thought about it, and what I might do differently. For this recipe I wrote, 'Reminds me of a biscuit. Very mild flavor..not too overly sweet (probably perfect for kids tastebuds). Aiden said, "Thank you Mommy" several times. Ate for breakfast with hot chocolate. Not something I would make all the time, but occassionally.'

Its been several hours since I made them and the boys are still nibbling away at them. So now I am thinking that they are a hit with the boys. I even like them a little bit more. Ehric told me that he thought they were really good. So I guess now we will be making them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment