"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Not All Idyllic Moments

Today was a rough day. Aiden was very teary eyed and cranky. If big brother looked at him wrong; if you didn't do as he said...you name it...he began to cry. When Aiden is not happy, no one is happy in our house. He is a very spirited child. When he is not his happy self (which when he is happy he is utterly and completely happy), Ehric tends to find ways to push his buttons even more.

Tonight we got the boys up to bed at a reasonable time. As we were heading upstairs I had this beautiful family scene running through my head 'We will all lie down and snuggle and I will read-aloud to my family. ' What happened in reality, 'There was an argument over who was going to be where in the bed; what book was going to be read; who was going to get to sit on Momma/near Momma; who got to see the picture better; Aiden was blocking the book; Ehric tried to push him out of the way to read; Daddy needed to go to sleep and was getting impatient; Momma started to read, was interupted; started to read again, and again and again; the lights were turned off several times; Aiden ripped the book out of my hands; and finally we did not get to read.'

I love that my boys are young and I don't want them to grow up too fast. But in some ways I can't wait until the toddler tantrums are gone and we can actually sit down and read a book! I know that life is never exactly how we envision it, but I still hold on to my dreams of that ideal family moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment