"One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."-Henry Miller

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Organizing Sunday

I know that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest; but today wasn't very restful for me. I awoke with an urge to create an area for all the kid's craft supplies. I got an idea for a kid's craft closet in a magazine and decided to kind of create something similiar. I have a plastic storage cabinet that I thought would do. But to put the cabinet where I wanted I had to move a few things. So I started moving some of my pantry items to the kitchen. As I moved those items I thought that some of the storage containers I had those in would be a good container for my toiletries. So I left the pantry items to straighten up my toiletries. After spending time straightening up my toiletries I then go back to the pantry items. Once I moved those items off a little plastic shelf, I moved the shelf into the kitchen for the time being.

I then emptied out the plastic storage cabinet that I had upstairs. Hubby was busy doing something so I carried it down stairs by myself. I have moved quite a few things by myself over the years. Then I brought it downstairs. We had to move our baker's rack to fit the cabinet in the spot I wanted.

Then I got the idea to put two-drawer style containers next to the cabinet. I spent quite a bit of time adding supplies to the cabinet and the drawer-style bins. I added papers, markers, stickers, clay, playdough, bingo daubers, and whatever other craft supplies I had. The drawer-style bins worked perfectly for the different types of papers, stencils, watercolor books, coloring books, etc that I have for the boys.

Of course, as I was putting things into the craft cabinet I had to rearrage some of the storage containers they were in. I ended up moving several items to different storage containers to better fit into the cabinet. On top of the drawer-style bins I added a container of Family Fun Magazines, craft books and how-to draw books.

The shelving unit that originally held my pantry items was moved next to a matching shelf that held our winter boots. It gave me a spot to put the boys bicycle helmets, cross country ski boots and other items. To do that I also had to move a bureau holding VHS/DVDs and cleanup some of our recycling. After all that was said and done I still had to find new homes for all the pantry items. That was no small feat.

I put together a Sunday Box for the boys. I took a plastic storage container and added: a toddler Bible, a children's prayer book, a soft prayer book (contains pictures of family to pray for); our Noah's Ark toys; a dry-erase book about Jonah; a binder on creation I made that has a creation game; a Jonah and the Whale dry-erase book; and a few story books. The boys used the Noah's Ark characters with their aluminum foil bridge we made yesterday.

Amazingly, I also finished the book I was reading, Daughter of Jerusalem by Thom Lemmons (Great fictional book about Mary Magdelene) and watched a few of our shows that we have on tape.



I also helped hubby cut his hair. I absolutely hate cutting hair because I am always afraid of really messing up the cut. But I think it came out pretty good. I planted a seed during the cut by telling hubby that he should shave his beard off too. For anyone who hasn't seen my hubby... he has been growing an Amish-inspired beard for the last year or so. (I miss seeing the clean cut version of my husband.) But he obviously thought about what I said because he really trimmed his beard up. Much improved I say!

Hubby took the boys outside to go cross-country skiing but plans were changed because our dog, Nanook (a siberian huskey) was trying to escape from his pen. Nanook was caught in the fence and hubby had to do some digging to get him out. So Nanook spent some time inside the house playing with the boys while Daddy fixed his fence.

The boys had a playdate with the neighbor girls so hubby and I relaxed and caught up on some of our shows. Overall it was a very productive and pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment